We imagine a future for Fogo Island and Change Islands where practical plans will help spark a unified process of economic renaissance.
We imagine a future where this place – one of the four corners of the earth as the Flat Earth Society happily describes it – becomes a centre for a sustainable fishery, arts, discovery and innovation.
And we imagine a future where a rich culture, history and people come together to create a unique destination and a model for community innovation and cultural resilience at the edge of the North Atlantic.
We’re not, happily, short of imagination.
Our goal is, by leading with the arts, to make a meaningful contribution to the continued cultural, economic and social resiliency of Fogo Island and Change Islands.
We want to create a world-renowned destination for artistic, cultural, ecological and culinary pursuits at “the edge of the earth”. Our projects will build on the people, culture and ecology of the islands to create a leading destination for geotourism and to build another leg to the economy of this special place.
Our Key Objectives
- To lead with the arts to stimulate creativity and innovation in a knowledge economy
- To preserve and promote the rich cultural heritage of the island; to preserve and promote traditional values, traditions and skills
- To support economic diversification through the development of world renowned geotourism products
- To develop a sustainable economy rooted in the cultural and natural resources of the island
- To put Fogo Island on the world map as a model for rural renaissance, diversity and prosperity
- To integrate the geotourism product with ongoing fisheries development to realize a sustainable fisheries in light of the challenges and opportunities of global markets
- To position Fogo Island as a leading centre for a progressive ocean ethic – a destination for learning and knowledge about a sustainable responsible relationship with the ocean
- To foster a robust entrepreneurial economy on the island
- To create jobs and opportunities in highly skilled occupations
- To improve the islands capacity for innovation, team work and risk taking – to be successful in a 21st century economy