A message from the founders
It is no doubt clear why we would be moved to invest our money and time on Fogo Island and Change Islands
. This is our home. It’s where we come from and where we will always come back to. They are special places and we want to help them achieve cultural and economic resiliency. We want them to be vibrant communities that continue to find news ways built on old ways. And we believe Fogo Island and Change Islands can become an important model for rural economic diversification; the effectiveness of social entrepreneurship and the power of the arts to catalyze change.
It may not be as clear why you should be moved to help. Certainly, we hope you would have the confidence in us to invest your donation wisely, manage it carefully and use it to benefit the communities of Fogo Island and Change Islands.
Here are some other reasons our projects might have relevance for you and why you might be moved to donate:
- Our projects resonate with your personal values about self determination and self sufficiency and the power of entrepreneurial thinking.
- The project is one of the few examples in Canada of social entrepreneurship in action. Much has been written about the social entrepreneurship movement and its potential to effect social and economic change but there are very few examples of social entrepreneurship in action. There is much to be learned here that is of relevance to other communities in need.
- Besides creating employment and opportunities for the people of these islands, we believe that our project will go a long way to redefining how other rural communities see their futures and will demonstrate that rural communities can innovate and lead. It is part of our mandate to share our learnings with others and to do what we can to have our projects serve as a model for others who are trying to find their way in the new world order.
- This project and what can be learned from it will strengthen Canada’s economic future by strengthening our rural economies. As important as our cities are, Canada is defined by its rural places and most of us carry some rural place in our hearts. They are integral to our national fabric and this is an innovative approach to finding ways for rural places to survive and prosper.
- The projects will take place on two relatively small islands (some 3000 people in 12 unique communities) thus making it easier to see and monitor the impact of your donation – your contribution will be direct and visible.
- You want to be part of helping these people and these communities which have a deep attachment to place and are very thoughtful, innovative and adaptive in their quest for preservation of place and identity.
There are many exciting possibilities for commemorating or linking your involvement in this economic and social renaissance to what is being created here.
We hope that you are moved by the potential of this small but symbolic little rock in the North Atlantic. We would be very touched, grateful and honoured if you decide to lend your support to this cause. But more importantly, your help would mean a lot to the people of these islands who are working hard at “finding new ways in an old continuity”.
Zita Cobb and Tony Cobb
Founders of the Shorefast Foundation
Please send check or money order to:
P.O. Box 102
Joe Batt’s Arm, NL
A0G 2X0, Canada
Using Paypal by clicking the button below:
We do not store your credit card information, and your personal data is subject to our privacy statement.
Receipt will be emailed automatically upon completion of each online donation. Please include your postal address to receive tax receipts.
Shorefast Foundation is a registered Canadian Charity, charitable business No. 85883 0904 RR0001.